STATEMENT OF PURPOSE (SOP)
A Statement of Purpose (SOP) is a document whereby, a student writes about himself to a university as to why they should admit him/her to their institution.
The Statement of Purpose is the sin?gle most important part of your application that will tell the admissions committee who you are, what has influenced your career path so far, your professional interests and where you plan to go from here.
Points to be considered while formulating a SOP :
- The SOP signifies a person’s identity and adds a distinctive feature to one’s personality.
- This is a medium through which a candidate can speak his heart out about his achievements, abilities and his future prospects.
- It is SOP, at which the candidate can exercise full control.
- Writing a good SOP requires attention, patience and care.
- Focus hard on flaunting your positive points and impress by making a special mention of your co-curricular achievements.
- For example: If one is good in debates and has been participating in them, then he/she must highlight their achievements in that prospective.
- Put yourself in an admission officer's shoes and write your SOP keeping in mind that only.
- Do highlight the name of the school or institute whose pass out, you are. Especially if it is a reputed school or college.
- Creativity, curiosity, pride in your work, an enthusiasm for learning, a capacity for teamwork, the ability to think independently and so on are all good attributes, and most of us share these in varying proportions. But what schools look for is a mix of individuals that together, form a well-balanced class. This would include several personality types. So SOP should highlight your personality traits in the right mix.
- It is good to go through the school's brochure or web site, speak to people about it etc. before writing a SOP.As it will give you an idea as to the demands of that institute.
- An applicant who does not take the SOP seriously is throwing away the best opportunity available.
- Don’t try to tell the admissions committee what you think they want to hear. Be honest, look inside yourself and do your best.