English section tests the candidate’s skills and proficiency in English. It mainly includes:
- Verbal Ability
- Reading Comprehension
Mainly tests your English grammar and understanding skills of English.
Reading Comprehension tests the ability to understand along with the basic reading skills. TESTING AREAS: Reading, Vocabulary, grammar and logic.
- The total number of questions in verbal section comprises almost 50%-60% of the total questions.
- And so the minimum cut off for this section over the year has been 30%-35%.
- Also this section in all is of 50 marks approximately.
This can be assessed as under:
In this section a candidate is tested in vocabulary, verbal and critical reasoning as well as grammar.
- The level of difficulty differs every year.
- Also the composition of the questions and type of questions differ every year.
- This section accounts for 25-30 marks approximately.
TOPICS COVERED IN IT
Mainly the topics tested are vocabulary, paragraph formulation, critical reasoning and grammar.
Other than this there are:
- Jumble paragraphs.
- Essence of the text.
- Fact, inference, judgement.
Reading Comprehension in CAT formulates more than 50% of the total English Section. This can be proved through the survey of CAT exam in recent years.
- It accounts for 20-25 marks in CAT.
- There are 6-8 passages in all in reading comprehension.
- These comprehensions are 250-750 words in length.
- The importance of RC in CAT can be better explained with the help of the following diagram:
PASSAGE TYPES IN RC:
- Social science passage:
This usually concerns a social or historical issue. You might see a passage about world population control or the history of the rise to power of a clan in medieval India.
- Science passage:
This might describe a scientific phenomenon, such as aviation, super conductivity or plate tectonics.
- Business passage:
This usually discusses a business-related topic. For example, you might see a passage about the privatization of state-owned industries, pricing of options and futures or the causes of inflation.
- Entertainment passage:
This usually discusses a topic related to entertainment, sports, leisure. The passage could be on a topic such as the lifestyles of the rich and famous, the reason for the success of a Hollywood or Bollywood movie.