Every candidate who wishes to apply for student visa should necessarily have the following documents. This is keeping in mind the general visa formalities and specific formalities as needed in getting student visa for US.
If the course duration to which a person is applying is more than 18 hours a week, he/she will need a student (F-1) visa.
WHEN TO APPLY FOR STUDENT? (F-1) VISA :
- It should be applied by a person as soon as possible, so that visa gets enough time for processing.
- However no Consulate or Embassy can issue visa more than 120 days prior to the beginning of the study period for a person.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR (F-1) VISA:
- A Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status.
- A completed Visa application form.
- Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant.
- Form DS-156.
- Form DS-158.
- Some may also require and sign DS-157.
- Recent passport size photo.
- Passport or travel document valid for travel to US, with validity date at least 6 months beyond the intended period of stay in US.
- Proof of enrolment or pre-enrolment in course of study, indicating number of hours of daily study and duration of course.
- Financial proof , which includes:
- Income tax documents,
- Original bank books and/or statements.
If you or your sponsor owns a business.
- Business Registeration,
OTHER DOCUMENTS NEEDED :
- Letters of Recommendation-LOR
- Statement of Purpose-SOP
- Scores from GMAT, GRE, IELTS, TOEFL or other standardized tests as in your case.
- Degrees/Diplomas from previous schools or institutes.
- An MRV fee receipt to show payment of visa application and issuance fee, if needed.
- A separate SEVIS* I-901 fee receipt.
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is designed to help the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State better monitor school and exchange programs and F, M and J category visitors.
- Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee, Form DS-156 (non-refundable): $131.00
- Application fee and service charge to be paid in advance at participating HDFC bank before taking an appointment.
- Visa fee receipt issued by HDFC bank with two bar code stickers to be carried to the consulate at the time of the interview.