What is TOEFL?
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language.
It tests the ability of a person to understand and utilize English in an academic setting.
TOEFL IBT has replaced TOEFL CBT (Computer Based Test) completely and PBT (Paper Based Test) mostly. TOEFL PBT no more exists in India, so TOEFL IBT is the only course name prevalent.
- It is administered by Education Testing Service i.e., ETS.
- It is available in two forms:
- TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test).
- TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test).
- Although Internet Based Test has replaced the Computer Based Test completely, but in some areas where internet is not available, the paper based test still hold its importance.
- TOEFL is required by Government agencies, licensing bodies, businesses, or scholarship programs.
- It is acceptable in United States, Canada, France, Germany & Italy. However it is available at other English speaking nations as well.
- The test was first administered in 1964 and has since been taken by more than 23 million students.
- The committee that looks after the test formulation has made it sure that the test is a complete measure of English proficiency and follows the current trends and methodologies.
- It is an admission requirement for people who are not natives of English speaking nations and want to study in colleges or universities of English speaking countries