Help Line: 9041222444, 9646824367, 9855551177, 0181-5002926
Usage of GRE
As per ETS
The GRE® General Test and Subject Tests are designed to assess academic knowledge and skills relevant to graduate study. As measures with known statistical properties and high-quality technical characteristics, the scores from these tests, when used properly, can improve graduate admissions and fellowship selection processes.
USAGE IN ADMISSIONS-
- The weight of your GRE scores in graduate admissions varies by program.
- Some graduate schools use the GRE as a cutoff while others consider it to offset a low GPA.
- Additionally, different sections of the GRE could be weighted differently. For example, if you are applying to a math or statistics program, the graduate program will probably place more importance on how you performed on the Quantitative Section than on Verbal and Analytical sections. Similarly, if you are applying to an English graduate program, your Verbal and Analytical Writing scores will most likely be more important.
- Some schools use the GRE in admission decisions, but not in funding decisions; others use the GRE for the selection of scholarship and fellowship candidates, but not for admissions.
- In some cases, the GRE may be a general requirement for graduate admissions imposed by the university, while particular departments may not consider the scores at all.
- The best way to find out how a particular school or program evaluates a GRE score in the admissions process is to contact the person in charge of graduate admissions for the specific program in question (and not the graduate school in general).
- However, the writing scores of foreign students are sometimes given more scrutiny and are used as an indicator of overall comfort with mastery of conversational English.
USAGE IN ACCESSING GRANTS-
- GRE Fee waivers are available for students based on their financial needs. GRE Fee waivers are available for both GRE General Test and GRE Subject Test.
- Students who intend to get a GRE Fee waiver must contact Central Financial Aid at 757-226-4125.
% IMPORTANCE OF GRE SCORES-
The importance of GRE score is about 35% to 50% as per a survey
Copy Right © 2012 by Knowledge Icon